Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Post #2 of the day: Best of 2007

I got this idea from Thoughts of Joy

BEST FIVE BOOKS OF 2007

Nelson, Sara So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading

*****

This sums up perfectly my year of reading. I really enjoyed the extra quiet time that I set aside for myself to read. I got the idea to do a book a week after I read this book. She is a kindred soul and I loved reading this book because I totally know where she is coming from.

Nemirovsky, Irene Suite Francaise

*****

This book totally lived up to its hype. I even gave my sister a copy for Christmas. This draft is so beautifully written and captivating that I breezed right through it.

Eugenides, Jeffrey

The Virgin Suicides*****

I really enjoyed this first novel by Eugenides. I also read Middlesex this year, which was also a wonderful portrayal of my city in the context of a really messed up family. Reading his books takes me home.

Steinbeck, John East of Eden

*****

I read this one as one of my book club books this year and just devoured it word for word. This is one of those wonderful books that I can see myself going back and re-reading again and again, regardless of the fact that it is 800 pages long!

Fergus, Jim One thousand white women : the journals of May Dodd

****

Written in journal style this was another book that I read through very quickly. It was written so well that at times I had to remind myself that is was fiction. I enjoyed the sometimes silly and provocative nature of the main character and it kept me coming back for more.

7 comments:

Seamus said...

Happy New Year!!!

BTW - you have rekindled my enthusiasm for reading! :)

G-Man said...

Happy New Year....
Galen..xo

Moosekahl said...

I know Double Bind was at the top of my list...not sure what the other four would be to round out a top 5! Now to bed so i can read :) Happy New Year!

eric1313 said...

East of Eden is wonderful. Steinbeck is incomparable, isn't he?

Mary said...

Great -- I have never read East of Eden and always wanted to. In fact, the book is on my shelf. As soon as I finish the eight I'm currently reading . . . .

Trish said...

Congrats on a great year (in many respects) and happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?